Breaking News
Loading...
Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Info Post
After some pretty unsuccessful partying, I finally got to a couple of shows today. First on the agenda was Nicole Farhi at the Royal Opera House in Covent Garden. The venue is magnificent with a large arched glass roof letting in natural light onto the catwalk. I had a standing ticket and decided to perch myself on the upstairs balcony. A birds eye view.

The clothes were distinctly floral, long flowing dresses with white and colour; some embellished with beads and stones. To be honest, it was not to my taste, but what I did like was the sheer undergarments layered under each piece. Round neck long sleeve transparent tops were worn under the dressed and gauzy leggings crinkled round the legs; this was to stunning effect, though I suspect that they may simply be show pieces to jazz up the catwalk.





The show progressed into Indian prints, and I am sad to say, nautical sailor stripes. It vexes me that every summer we are bombarded with the nautical, its done every season and needs something special to be exciting.

The beauty junkie I am, I also clocked the hair and make-up. A very strong orange blusher was stroked onto the checks, and the hair did not vary terribly from the trends last season; a matt voluminous scraped back puff.



It ended half an hour after time and I had to get my skates on to get across town to Emma Cook. I cursed London as I stormed down the strand, cursed that a bus takes longer than walking (even in 3 inch heels), cursed the surface area of the city, and finally cursed that I am too poor for a taxi.


It was worth the stress and the slight emergence of shine from beneath my face powder, for the show was wonderful. I am terribly devastated that I was unable to get better photos but those models walk so darn fast, no matter how soon I pressed the button I got a blur of a back. I suppose my words shall have to aid me to covey the show, though I never underestimate the power of the visual when writing about fashion…

The show started with a slightly rocky look, greys and beiges hanging off shoulder bones. The theme soon emerged, wonderful constructed ruffles, and half moon cup hem lines. Tassels shimmered and shook down the catwalk, one particular dress stretched them to construct the upper whilst the skirt fell in pretty swishing tiers.



Eye-catching fabric paneling was put onto dresses and trousers; I don’t know the type of fabric, but it was metallic and luminous in blue and purple, terribly bright and dazzling and picked up the detail in the clothes.


Finally, the rain coats. Plastic transparent macs were stitched into beautifully tailored coats with collars, trenches and capes and adorned with sparkling crystals. There was a glittering cape that I would die for! This was a particularly clever idea, as the clothes were visible through the coats, meaning the look was transformed by the undergarments. The coats served as a glossy coat of varnish, to enhance what was worn underneath. I regret I have no photos, and will be saving to desktop from style.com as soon as they surface there.

I spotted Suzie Bubble on the front row and was quite in awe as I lurve her blog! She looked very pretty but bless, sent a paper flying onto the catwalk before the final recall and had to scoot out onto the floor to retrieve it!

After the show I went home weary, I don’t know how people go from show to show criss crossing London all day, every day for a week! I am totally worn out after two back to back. That being said, more important people who get all the show invites probably can afford a black cab!

Two parties tonight, I think I am going to have a short nap…

0 comments:

Post a Comment