Breaking News
Loading...
Saturday, September 13, 2008

Info Post
Today I have been busy without achieving anything. I went to the salon, got my hair dyed a shade darker and a little side fringey cut in. Then I traipsed around the shops literally all afternoon and made a single purchase, that red eyeshadow. Then ,when I returned home for a Saturday night with X factor, I found a lovely surprise waiting for me in the kitchen, a large letter!

I do not believe that there is much as pleasurable as getting a letter in the post with a hand written address, and I instantly recognized the writing on the envelope, it was a letter from my family in Japan. By my ‘family’, I mean the people who hosted me when I went on a Japanese exchange four years ago. We have written to each other ever since, and it is always such a joy to receive a letter!

They visited London last month and took me out for supper, and the latest letter contained a host of photos from the evening, as well as some from four years ago; they are all carefully laminated, and were accompanied by a long letter and a small packet of nail stickers.

The physical is dying out. These days we rarely hold a photo in our hands, or touch the marks a pen has scratched onto paper. Everything is viewed via this screen, everything is pixels and unreal, its sad. There is something so personal about a letter, which a slap dash typed message can never convey. I’m sure the connivance of E-communication will never be enough for me to abandon my rustic love of letters.







0 comments:

Post a Comment