Breaking News
Loading...
Thursday, September 25, 2008

Info Post
Lately I have been wondering how strongly my fashion choices are dictated by the opinions of others. Whilst I am not scared of blending in, I don’t think that I can bear standing out too badly.

Last Friday we went to an end of Fashion Week party in Beach Blanket Babylon in Shoreditch. I wore my French Connection white dress; I love this dress! When I put it on in the changing rooms I thought I looked like a Victorian ghost, an attractive prospect! It perhaps does look a little like a night shirt but that had not bothered me up until this night.




The venue was in Shoreditch, notorious for its avante garde fashion, yet above the club was a restaurant were some non East Londoners were dining. Standing talking to Bianca, I noticed a woman staring at me with a sneer on her face, she then nudged the guy next to her and did a not so discreet point over at me whilst whispering in his ear. I stared at her until she felt uncomfortable, but this incident upset me more than it should have.

We were in Shoreditch for goodness sake! There are far stranger sights than a girl in a white cotton dress, the boy next me had a blue face covered in glued on flowers! I know this, and I should have had enough confidence in my outfit to ignore her, but the unwanted attention unnerved me.

Similarly, last weekend I threw on something or nothing without a thought and wandered around Columbia Flower Market. Again, I received some funny looks, because this day I was sporting a pair of overtly shredded and holey pastel pink tights.
I hated the stares and retreated to Starbucks as fast as possible!

I am not a flamboyant dresser by any means, so I suppose that those who truly stand out must get the stares and looks on a far greater scale. Whilst I am not too fond of excess attention, I think it is the judgment behind these peoples eyes that I feat the most. But why should what they think matter?

It appears that even wearing something I deem inconspicuous will make me viable for judgment, so in theory I should wear exactly what I like, no matter how outlandish, as the results will not differ greatly.

Whilst I will not be found in a neon jumpsuit any time soon, these experiences have left me vowing to try and be true to my natural fashion choices. If I like it, wear it. I will get judged every day in London, so I may as well be judged wearing something I think looks fabulous.

0 comments:

Post a Comment