Breaking News
Loading...
Saturday, December 6, 2008

Info Post
It is quarter to 12 on a Saturday and I am in bed... nothing unusual there, only this particular Saturday I have already been out, travelled to the end of the world (Wembley North) and back again!

Yes I attempted the Angels Fancy Dress sample sale, very unsuccessfully may I add. I'm sure that everyone has heard about the sale, basically the biggest costume shop in UK- who supplies period costumes to film and TV- were selling off loads of stock for £10 a bag!! I marked the date in my diary and started dreaming of long victorian capes and cute black 60s dresses. An unrealistic dream sadly.

I got up so early for a Saturday, 7.30!! And even sacrificed seeing one of my favourite bands Soho Dolls last night to ensure I would be able to remove myself from bed! I trekked all the way to Wembley in ZONE 4, via tube then overground as the Bakerloo was defunct as per usual.

Getting off the train at Wembley there were so many people we actually had to queue to get out of the station..and then I noticed a lot of people coming back into the station, and without shopping bags. How curious I pondered, but the mystery would be answered. On turning onto Main Drive I saw it. The most massive queue I have ever witnessed, and I have been to Disney World, I am no stranger to a que!!

It stretched around the warehouse as far as the eye could see, huddles of bodies in the cold all waiting in an unmoving line. There was a luminous orange security man who clearly found the whole thing terribly amusing

'3-4 hours!' he was informing people 'the queue was all the way around at 7am, people camped here!'. Then he made a very good point, 'I'm not trying to stop you queueing but look at all the people who will get in before you, there will be nothing left!'

He was right. I would possibly queue for 3 hours for some authentic vintage Victorian goodness for a tenner, but in the situation I would be queuing for 3hours to get the dregs of the warehouse, there were at least a thousand people already waiting.

So I turned back and waited for ages to get the train back. I was bitter. Lots of people has also decided not to bother and the southbound platform was crowded with glum bagless folk. I was glad I had a fit of sense and decided to take my £20 elsewhere, but I must admit I died a little bit inside when I saw a girl with a pair of victorian boots stuffed into her transparent Angels bag...oh well, she probably stayed in Wembley all night, and for that dedication she deserves them, I wish her and the boots all the best!

0 comments:

Post a Comment