Breaking News
Loading...
Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Info Post
I have always found something pitiful about children growing up in cities. Rich or poor, they all seem to face the same problem of being launched into a very adult world too young. Perhaps this is due to my Dickens obsession; every one of his novels contains great Victorian London and often are riddled with the wandering child in a city, caught up in a commerce-fuelled environment.

Dickens’ city children have become iconic, the young souls who for the most remain cheerful, relying on adults yet helping them with menial tasks. The children always know their trade and carry it out to live. My favourite is Jo of Bleak House the be-capped road sweeper who holds the key to the novels mystery. Well tonight I met a twenty first century Jo who goes by the name of Dave, and is not a sweep but rather a launderette boy.

I don’t know what possessed me to journey to ‘Spin and Dry’ on a Tuesday evening, in a thunder storm, maybe it was my lack of clean anything; but I found myself in the dreary yellow place all the same.

After a small read of a very confusing book, up popped a young boy in wellies and a massive puffa coat who didn’t seem to belong to anyone. He did however, know the art of washing very well and advised us (myself, a man washing table cloths and a middle aged woman) on the prices of loads. It appears one can wash a load for £1 in Hoxton, and drying is only 20p.

He could fit himself in a tumble dryer, and yes, he did so by art of demonstration. He advised me to use a spinner to cut drying costs, and then when I feared my washing was stuck in the machine showed me which button to press to release it. Most useful for when a load of washing contains a pair of magic knickers, you do not want to have to abandon it.

We had a little conversation and I was a little surprised when he asked if I had a boyfriend- a question all singles get a lot, but not from strange ten year olds in a launderette.
‘no’
‘why?’
‘I don’t want one’
'You should get a man with lots of money'
‘Its hard to find one'
‘I found a girlfriend just like that’ and here he snapped his fingers, 'and she bought me a watch'

He then asked if I had a Mum, and when I replied that she was in Wales he said ‘is she coming back?’. I think this is what cast me back to Dickens. The thought process to ask such a question so young appeared to reveal much about this boy’s life.

But before it got too serious, Dave upped and left. It was nine o clock and his Mum was coming out of the Bingo.

0 comments:

Post a Comment