Breaking News
Loading...
Thursday, April 16, 2009

Info Post
I used to work under the pretentious sentiment that I would not post unless I had a point. Yet I am starting to realise that there is often little real point in much of life..

I just finished reading Wuthering Heights which despite having an English degree, I had not actually read before. I have not seen any film or adaptation of the book yet I have acquired a 'perception' of it over the years? I imagined Kate Bush style wailing over windy moors where the two protagonists run and embrace; Heathcliff is dark and romantic, Cathy is in a white gown. It is tragic and beautiful.

I really wanted it to be like this and I really wanted to like it, but I was disappointed.

Cathy is a complete (for want of a better word) bitch, she flounces and has violent tantrums and beats men and her housemaid. Heathcliff is a quiet child and a savage adult; the text constantly compares him to the devil and I could find none of that sexy brooding hero that everyone seems to label him with. He and Cathy do not embrace as adults and only come in contact once when she has fallen ill with insanity and is on her death bed.

Whilst they love each other, their conversation exchange shows no hint of tenderness, they are cold and unfamiliar with each other throughout. When Cathy dies, her ghost torments Heathcliff, instead of comforting him, it is seeking revenge. Heathcliff then abuses Cathy's sister in law who he married out of spite.

There is no running over moors. No real love story at all in my opinion, at least not between Cathy and Heathcliff. The continual questioning of the merit of a hierarchical society is very interesting and I am not condemning it a bad book. I enjoyed reading it but it was not what I expected at all. It really is strange how it has gained such notoriety as a romance, and that Heathcliff is considered a literary 'hunk' (that word always amuses me), he is certainly no Mr Darcy! Maybe people are influenced to read it this way due to the usual genrealising of any classic novel? Anyway, if you want some romance I suggest sticking to Kate Bush!





Kate by the way, has inspired me to whip out the white cotton nighty dress and enjoy my pale skin whilst it is still mildy acceptable to not have a tan. I wish I had that volume in my hair too...

0 comments:

Post a Comment