Breaking News
Loading...
Thursday, July 19, 2012

Info Post


Hi all! I'm back from Italy and back to the blog! I thought I'd kick off my posting with a book review. I can't keep up with my rate of reading, and have a backlog of about 10 books to write about at the moment, so let's start afresh with my favourite holiday read. I got through 5 novels on the beach but this one was my absolute favourite, let me tell you all about it...

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn documents the disappearance of beautiful young woman Amy Dunne. The police instantly suspect her husband Nick, and though friends confirm that she was scared of him,  Nick denies it all. I can't say any more on plot without spoiling the story. It is a true thriller, where every page turn reveals a clue bringing us closer to the truth.

The narrative is split between Nick's police led search and Amy's secret diary. The voices are unique and equally strong, but I felt more pull toward that of Amy. Gillian Flynn has created an impressive character that you can't help fearing and admiring in equal measures.

This is a beautifully written intelligent book, but it has no airs and graces. The Flynn's skill lies in her confidence to exclude clever descriptions and metaphors in favour of an addictive storyline and powerful first person accounts. You won't be able to put this book down! I was glued to it on my green beach chair and finished it the same day. A wonderful blend of trashy thriller and skilled author. I wish there were more novels like this!

PS. Watch out for the ending- it is truly twisted!

0 comments:

Post a Comment