Breaking News
Loading...
Sunday, February 1, 2009

Info Post
The Ipod shuffle has revolutionised the way we listened to music; instead of listening to the story of an album from beginning to end, we are shoved from artist to artist, genre to genre ruthlessly. I wrote an article about this and genrally ranted about the lost art of the album for about 1,000 words, but recently I have stopped resenting the nature of the Ipod generation.

For example, it really is comical to be moodily listening to Queens of the Stone Age mooching along and kicking leaves, only to have the Hairspray soundtrack blast into your ear the next second. Also, the shuffle can make you think. I was confornted with one such thinking episode when I was listening to Hole and Courtney Love's enraged lyrics:

Everytime that I sell myself to you
I feel a little bit cheaper than I need to
I wiil tear the petals off of you
Rose-red, I will make you tell the truth
Was she asking for it?
Was she asking nice?
Yeah, she was asking for it
Did she ask you twice?
Everytime that I stare into the sun
Angel dust and my dress just comes undone
Everytime that I stare into the sun
Be a model or just look like one
Well I'll rock it to the end
Do you think you can make me do it again?

Cynical. Then next I have 60s icon Dusty Springfield

Don't you see
That now you've gone
And I'm left here on my own
That I have to follow you
And beg you to come home?

You don't have to say you love me
Just be close at hand
You don't have to stay forever
I will understand
Believe me, believe me
I can't help but love you
But believe me
I'll never tie you down


I wanted to get poor Dusty and tell her 'no it shouldn't be like this! Listen to Courtney!'. It was such a stark comparison between feminism and total submisson. Which is more real? Both are reactions to 'love', these reactions that might reflect the era... I don't neccessarily think that Dusty is any less relevant than Hole to todays society though; observing broken hearts of today they are just as desperate.

I still love both artists in their own way, though combined by the Ipod suffle it does get too confusing! Also they are both style icons of mine. Strangely when creating these Polyvores I noticed that their style and looks are actually quite similar, bright hair, dark eyes and lace lace lace

Courtney Love
Courtney Love - by sarahedwinarose on Polyvore.com



Dusty Springfield
Dusty Springfield - by sarahedwinarose on Polyvore.com

0 comments:

Post a Comment