Breaking News
Loading...
Friday, February 6, 2009

Info Post
For awhile now I have had an accessory in my head that would make much happier. I like to traipse around London with a ghosty face and dark eyes and think of Victorian times, and I feel that a Doctors bag would complete this in both look and feel.

In my mind I have a hand held bag with a clasp fastening crafted from battered leather.. I thought that this idea came from Sherlock Holmes himself, but as I google imaged like a fiend, I realised that in fact it was Dr. Watson whom actually carried a Doctors bag(yes, big surprise there!).



And would you believe it, my very dream bag was snapped looking fabulous on Jak and Jil in Paris no less



I have stepped up the search and used a very small bit of work time to check out the situation on my old nemesis Ebay. To my surprise the bag exists!! Yes, the very bag, my bag! There is one catch though, and quite a big catch...it is 'Buy It Now' for £159 PLUS £11 postage. Now call me old fashioned but isn't this quite a lot for a bag that they admit has

'noticable marks, creasing, blemishes and scratches to the hide. There are also scuffs to the corners, and the shape of the case has changed over time, so it does not stand symetrically.'





So I am forking out more than a weeks rent for a damaged old bag?? I think the price lies in the fact that it is a 1900c. piece, an actual piece of Victoriana. It does make me wonder about the concept of 'Vintage' though ; when does something stop being 2nd hand and become vintage? And is something always 'vintage' even as it deteriorates into dust! Should age and wear justify a
higher price?? I am not tight with bag money, I received jibes and scorn for months when I bought my Chole but I knew it would last and stand changeable fashions with its classic design...This however? I think I would feel a fool paying this much for something truly battered on its last legs.

The trouble is that it is THE bag for me... might have to email the seller and do some begging.

0 comments:

Post a Comment