Breaking News
Loading...
Thursday, June 25, 2009

Info Post
'Play Me, I'm Yours' is an art work by Luke Jerram 30 street pianos have been installed on streets, in public squares and parks, train stations, and markets. Like a creative blank canvas, the pianos are there for any member of the public to play and engage with. The pianos will be in place until July 13th, after which time they’ll be donated to local schools and community groups.

I read about this project awhile back and this weekend saw one of the pianos in action in Liverpool Street. I used to play the piano myself and there is something really touching about this project; the trust of leaving an instrument un-guarded, the invitation for anyone to come and express themselves...

I had taken a pilgrimage to Boots to buy a ridge filler nail polish (it was a quiet weekend!) when I heard the tinkle of keys and found an old man playing Smile by Nat King Cole to a small crowd of on lookers. He had a massive shopper at his side and shorts on, so I'm assuming a tourist and I wondered how long it had been since he had last played. When he finished everyone clapped.

Photobucket

Photobucket


The artist, Luke Jerrem asks why we do not know the people across the street from us anymore and created a project where pianos are designed as a catalyst for interaction between strangers. This certainly was the case in Liverpool St where people with busy lives all stood and listened.

It also gives the opportunity for the hidden pianists without access to instruments to emerge and re-practice their talent. I would love to hop onto that stool but the station would need to be empty for I can only play from memory my own compositions from school. One of those was a requiem- not very cheering for commuters!

0 comments:

Post a Comment