Breaking News
Loading...
Friday, June 19, 2009

Info Post
The past week or so has been quite busy events wise, but one of the parties I was most looking forward to was the Irregular Choice bash at their Carnaby Street store.

I'm sure that most people are familiar with the brand, but for those that are not, it it a shoe brand that basically does what it says on the tin- offers people something a little more unusual than the regular, trend inspired high street offering. Whilst we can expect walls of gladiators, platform toes and nautical wedges across the board in every retailer, Irregular Choice manages to avoid the fashions of the season whilst also remaining current.

I have a personal affinity with the brand after seeing some of their cleft toe heels in an Elle Girl street style piece years ago and being generally amazed at their appearance; I had certainly seen nothing like that in Wales before! I love the idea of making a statement with your shoes, because as much as I love fashion, I believe that all you really need to look good is polished make-up and amazing shoes- all that's in between that can be irrelevant if you follow this ethos, and as a girl who does enjoy a cake or five, this is a comforting notion! Goodbye body-con and hello lipstick and shoes!

The event on Tuesday gave us the chance to wonder around store with sparkly pink plastic flutes and eat sweets whilst admiring shoes. The shelves were littered with Jelly Beans, lollipops, Raindow Drops (a forgotten confectionery gem), Love Hearts and Um Bongo amongst the shoes and there were performances at the back from 'Dockers MC’ and Polly Scattergood. Jelly Pong Pong were there giving make overs, I love this brand but already had a face full of cosmetics freshly applied on the tube on the way (classy) so did not indulge.



Photobucket


Photobucket


I was lucky enough to be introduced to Irregular Choice designer Danny Sullivan and had a very interesting chat with him. He explained that he had no formal training in shoe making but had left school at 15 to start his business! As for the name?

'I was thinking about what I wanted to do and the word 'Irregular' kept cropping up'

The brand is certainly still synonymous with this original concept as every single shoe in the shop has some quirky detail and attention to design that is absent elsewhere on the high street. Danny explained that he sometimes starts working with a fabric in mind, or sometimes the shoe itself will be the platform for design. There is a linearity between some of the line but each style is basically unique.

The brand already has a New York boutique alongside the London Carnaby store and there are plans for a store in Tokyo. Danny seems keen on the concept of dotting singular stores as far and wide as possible rather than setting up 3 in the same city. Irregular Choice also has a concession in high street retailer Schuch, but Danny explained that they are often only keen in stocking heels, which is a shame as they also have a lot of great flats to offer.

Looking around the store this is definitely true, and it made me question my own shoe choices. I often use flat shoes as mere transport methods to get me around London without falling over or being crippled in pain, where as heels are more of an accessory? However these flats below could be as much of a statement as the 6 inch heels?


Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket


I really do urge anyone in London or NY to take a look around the shop, every wall is such a visual delight! I took some pictures of my favourite shoes and would have taken more but the party was really busy. I have already spotted a pair of heel boots that I think I need, they would be so at home on my feet!


Photobucket

Designer Danny Sullivan and myself


Photobucket

B tucking into some Rainbow Drops



Photobucket

Photobucket

Love the heel and cherry toe decoration on these!

Photobucket

These were such beautiful summer shoes- from the front

Photobucket

From the side - look at the heel!

Photobucket


Personal favourite- love love love

Photobucket

And if I ever meet a man, he is required to wear these blue ones. It will be like part of the deal


0 comments:

Post a Comment