Breaking News
Loading...
Monday, January 5, 2009

Info Post
Help! I love MAC to death and don't ever want to hate it; it is my face's safety net, the London shops are firmly routed in my mind and I can never pass without dipping into some pots emerging with rainbow streaked hands. Their past collaborations have made me so superficially joyous, yet the latest leaves me slightly baffled?

The latest Limited collaboration see MAC teaming with Dame Edna! I read about this awhile ago and choose to ignore it, shaking my head in confused disbelief. I didn't want to question my beloved MAC it was best left alone...

But now I find this in my inbox:


...and I can ignore it no longer. What is going on and do I agree? The concept of doing ones make-up to look like a man in drag is not shocking to me. I love to drag up, abandoning the 'eyes or lips' rule and instead pile it all on, with extra eyelashes and garish colours. Man in drag? Ok. An old man in old woman drag?? Slightly different.

Ladyman acts such as Jeffree Star create literal art on the face. The blending on the lids, the poised symmetrical eyebrows and flawless make-up full skin are eternally impressive to me; but whats to covet about wrinkly blue eyeshadow and cupboard old lippie that Dame Edna prefers?

I have considered this and my answer is nothing. Perhaps this is not the point though. Perhaps it is more about the fun of painting on a face, maybe its about the process of the 'creation' of something false yet very real and the warm likeable personnality of everyones favourite Dame.
Or perhaps I am just over analysing like an English student.

But look at the packaging! I must confess I prefer this to any of previous collaborations, it gives Hello Kitty, Faffi and Alexander McQueen a run for their money with the quirky lilac and trademark red specs. I wouldn't say no to a Damely red lippie! Is it only me or would you be tempted to buy and drag it up old folk style?



0 comments:

Post a Comment