Breaking News
Loading...
Sunday, August 23, 2009

Info Post
Photobucket

'To be, or not to be: that is the question' asked Hamlet gazing at the skull of Yorik; recently I asked myself the same question, also with skull in hand- a skull print cardigan.

I'm not sure if I am alone in the impulse buying; I think I have a style, I go into the shop and pick out things similar to what I already own, white lace, drapey black, Victoriana are words that catogorise most of my wardrobe. But very occasionally I will be strangely drawn to something way outside my comfort zone, something that I don't know why I like, but I like a lot. Enter the skull cardigan...

I was shopping for a birthday present in Spitalfields market when I spotted the offending item. It hung low on a rack in amongst cheap dresses and strappy tops. I walked past it and found I had reached out to touch the sleeve; coming to my senses I whipped my hand away and continued on my journey. 'What am I an emo?! I don't think so' I rationalised. I bought my friend a necklace, I had a coffee, and yet still there were skulls swimming in my mind. I felt like I needed the cardigan. I sheepishly returned to the stall, tried it on in a fluster and handed over the cash before scurrying away clutching the blue plastic bag to my chest.

The deed was done, the skulls were home. I tried convince myself I was too old and too wise for such a teenage angsty garment but I did still like the cardigan, I even liked the pleather elbow patches! Now it has had a few outings, and not caused as much controversy as I feared. It may be wrong for a conscientious 22yr old to step out looking like Avril Lavigne, but I don't think I care too much. In fact I recommend that everyone buy that rouge item that takes your fancy, if something inside says 'yes' then it is definitely to be.

0 comments:

Post a Comment