Breaking News
Loading...
Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Info Post

For those who have not experienced this East End 'Working Mens Club', it does what it says on the tin. A square wood paneled room with a small bar and a small stage reminiscent of a community hall a Mum might book for a 16th Birthday. I half expected my vodka to be mixed with flat Diet Coke from a squashed bottle stowed behind the pump-less bar, by an aging tart no less.

My flatmate Becky and I were lured to this dark strange street of London last Friday night by the close proximity to our flat, but also by the event 'Dance Party 2000' hosted by Duotard.

'Duotard' are self-defined as 'everyone's favourite husband and wife interpretive dance duo'. Yes, I'd agree with that. They both wore neck to ankle sequined purple spandex and kicked off the night with a dance that was definitely interpretive; it was a song about burgers, I faintly remember the lyrics 'meat or cheese?' being repeated rather emotionally as they threw a giant 'burger' at each other- interpretively of course.

The crowd differed from the Shoreditch usuals; there were indie kids, people in fancy dress, drag queens, transvestites -there is a difference, lesbians, men from the office, short people...and of course that obligatory bald tanned man in the white shirt with the bad dance moves. (he bought me and Becky a drink we didn't want and then got in a huff that we weren't very enthusiastic when 'dancing' with him). Nice to have a mix and when Duotard premiered their new dance video there was not a single person sitting down, even I found my long lost dancing shoes!


A bag of popcorn from the cross-dressing glass collector and we finished the evening with the dance party 2000. The music was determined by spinning a wheel; I'd never danced to 'Hilly Billy' followed by 'Goth Rock' before but I must say, I enjoyed it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment