Breaking News
Loading...
Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Info Post


Tonight Luisa and Robert (aka. The Style Scout) invited me along to Mash Ups, an exhibition curated by Stuart Semple. I don't profess to know anything about art, but I often immensely enjoy it and this evening was one such occasion.

The show is entitled 'post pop fragments & detournements' and contains the work of 5 young artists including Semple himself; pop culture is predominant in all the glowing coloured, mish mashing cutting style pieces


I particularly took a fancy to this seductive piece by Semple. The gory bloody trickles juxtaposed against the flawless face is breathtaking.



The rest of the exhibition was equally impressive. Art is of course usually aesthetic, but this aspect seemed louder here; upon the walls hung glorious feasts for the eye to gorge upon. The lazy viewer may glance upon the art and gain pleasure, but to study revealed the many 'Mash Up' elements and allowed most precise personal interpretation.



There was also a clever mixture of textures and mediums which seemed to come together efforlessly in the finished piece. This sculputure is made of the strangest combination of materials but looks beautiful (beautiful is such a banned journalistic word but I believe it most fitting).


And everyone was able to take a piece of art home with them, sadly not the paintings, I saw the price list over someones shoulder and lets just say 4 months rent would hardly be sufficient. No, there were 100 silver balloons, screen printed and neatly numbered and signed on the back. By the time I got there they were disrupted and already wound around the wrists of the stylish and beautiful, but I imagine they looked glorious all hudled together in their shiny goodness.



I got number 32/100. It was not great fun taking it home on the 55 and getting disapproving looks from the dull commuters, but it sure looks pretty in my room. Hurrah!

0 comments:

Post a Comment