Breaking News
Loading...
Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Info Post
Popular in the 80s, Sex and the City's Carrie Bradshaw triumphantly cast the name necklace onto thousands of modern necks. Whilst we don't all have Carrie's quirky story- didn't the name necklace get lost in Paris as a representation of her old life in NY or something?- personalised jewellery is still just that, personal to the wearer.

I have a couple of name necklaces and retain a fond affection for them, however at first I wondered whether or not this concept would suit me, 'Sarah' is not an exotic name, it has no quirk or tale behind it; was there really any point in branding my identity across my throat? Then one whirlwind of a summer Bianca and I visited Tatty Devine and fell in love with their chunky perspex name necklaces. As poor fashion interns we could not justify the purchase so eventually decided to buy each other one for Christmas. This not only granted us with our highly coveted necklace but sorted out gift giving and erased some of the financial guilt. Tatty Devine have a wide range of colours and after deliberation I choose the black and Bianca had metallic gold - a fair representations of our personalities!


Photobucket

As a converted firm fan of the name necklace, I was delighted to receive a more classic style name necklace from My Name Necklace. This one spells out my name in shiny silver italics and is a more polished option than my Tatty Devine purchase. It comes on a slim chain; there are three different lengths available and I choose the 16'' which sits nicely just below the collar bone. The cut of the lettering is exquisite and it fastens with a traditional lobster clasp.

Photobucket

The font style is actually called 'Carrie style' but there are a LOT of different options and different metals. It's very handy to buy personalised jewellery online and customise your necklace with photo examples at disposal. Also, the postage is free which is a mega plus point.

Check out the site here

As the possessor of two name necklaces I feel like somewhat of a veteran, but there are so many different options I can't promise not to add a couple more to the collection. They always attract compliments when I wear them which is no bad thing. Also, (top tip) they are a genius idea for 'Special Birthdays'; when friends/family turn 18 or 21 there is a pressure to give them an extra special, thoughtful, memorable gift which is a nightmare if like me you panic over regular birthday pressies. The jewellery from My Name Necklace is ideal as gifts as they come prettily packaged in a ribbon bound lilac box. I have given 2 friends and sister Sian name necklaces for their celebrations and they were definitely a hit! Sister Rhian, guess what you're getting for your 18th?

0 comments:

Post a Comment