Breaking News
Loading...
Monday, July 20, 2009

Info Post
When friends and family visit London, they are always shocked at my coldness to beggars on tramps on the street. Here is a tale that highlights why I am so cynical.

One summers eve Bianca and I were walking back to my flat from the station. This is now a routine part of party prep, stop home, make-up, heels, B tries on all my dresses and then we clatter out to which ever event we are heading. This particular evening a woman blocked our path as we were walking and chatting. She was short, squat in a tracksuit with cropped bleached hair and a jowlley jaw. Before we could say a word she burst into speech

'Oh hello girls, I wonder if you can help me, I've been up to about 5 women and they all looked at me as if I was about to steal from them. I'm not a beggar, I'm not a weirdo, I not on drugs, I had a fight with my bloke and I'm looking for £2.10 to get a bus home. I thought a woman would help me, we've got to stick together'.

This was delivered with a huffy, puffy, worldly tone with a much head shaking to emphasise her points- namely that as a fellow female we should adhere to a solidarity. Bianca and I sympathetically said that we had no change sorry, which I do believe was true at this time. She furiously condemned us for being a traitor to the female species and walked on her way.

It was perhaps a month later that I was sat with Christelle, maybe 10 minutes away from the station outside a bar. It was a Saturday afternoon and we were having a sneaky glass of wine in the rain. A woman was shuffling down the street and pulled up a metal chair at our table. I thought she looked familiar and it didn't take me long to realise why...

'Oh hello girls, I wonder if you can help me, I've been up to about 5 women and they all looked at me as if I was about to steal from them. I'm not a beggar, I'm not a weirdo, I not on drugs, I had a fight with my bloke and I'm looking for £2.10 to get a bus home. I thought a woman would help me, we've got to stick together'

EXACTLY THE SAME SPEECH. The copy paste tool has never been so easily used, everything, right from the 'I'm not a weirdo' to 'women sticking together'. I sat in disbelief listening to this parrot, and silently hoped that Christelle would not be taken in by the speel.

Luckily, Chris is also a cynic but this episode enraged me! Many beggars lie, I know that, and many also have their favourite one-liners, 'money for the donar kebab fund?', 'change for a ticket to Barbados?' these are regulars in my area but this woman...this woman was under the guise of a woman in need. She tried to steal from us by being disgusted at the lack of understanding between women, yet in doing so totally exploits the entire concept! To think I felt bad at Liverpool St leaving this woman in distress, to think that I felt I was letting down the sex. Her story uses a man exploiting a woman to pull the heart strings, when in fact she is exploiting many of us daily with her lies.

I caught the bus home tonight as it was tipping down with rain. Out of the window I watched pedestrians battling the downpour and saw a young girl being approached by the same woman. The girl's understanding face filled me with pity. I could see the woman shaking her head as she was probably receiting the very same speech again. I didn't see if she got her £2.10 for the bus.

0 comments:

Post a Comment