Breaking News
Loading...
Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Info Post

Now that Alice in Wonderland is in the cinemas I feel it is fair to write a little opinion-based review on it. I was lucky enough to see freshly release a week or two back, along with the new Tim Binns jewellery collection for Disney Couture. There had been so much hype over this film, and I felt that the darkness of Tim Burton combined with the already dark tale surely could not fail; as the press shot leaked they seemed to confirm that it would be an excellent film I would enjoy, but this was not the case.

The story was disappointing. I was naively expecting a Disney-esque tale but Burton transforms the strange wanderings of the mind into a directional and Hollywoodized tale of slaying dragons. I have not read the books so I cannot comment on whether or not this is more faithful to the text than Disney, but to name it Alice in Wonderland is misleading as it is surely closer to the 2nd novel, Alice Through the Looking Glass?

Then Johnny Depp. He ruins the Mad Hatter in the same way that he ruined Willy Wonka; by over-emphasising a sensitive nature the characters lose their fictional qualities and become too human. Why isn't the Mad Hatter simply mad? Why must he be self-consciously so and need reassurance that it's ok to be 'different'.

The effects were nothing to speak off. The only thing I've seen in 3D was 'Terminator 3D' in Florida 6 years ago, yet I remember that was scarily dimensional with killer wasps buzzing around your head and bullets aiming at your face. I think that the 3D element wasn't fully exploited here; though many scenes were undoubtedly beautiful no one was blinding reaching out at the screen, it wasn't spectacular.

Even so the costumes were stunning, the characters were aesthetically brilliant and the casting of Alice was spot on. I am very glad I saw it, but will avoid doing so again and intend to stick to good old Disney. The Disney Couture jewellery however, was quite amazing. My favourite pieces are below: a mad hatter ring and a key hole necklace. You can view the other pieces in the collection by clicking here





As disappointing as the film was, I am loving the merchandise that is popping up everywhere, and even the beauty brands are jumping on the bandwagon! I think I'm actually going to get these OPI polishes below- pure glitter goodness!

And this Paul and Joe kit is absolutely adorable. The pretty tin contains blotting paper and a lipbalm- the classic illustrations make the perfect dressing table cosmetics.

0 comments:

Post a Comment