Breaking News
Loading...
Monday, December 7, 2009

Info Post
I was contacted about a competition to win Eurostar tickets with Le Nouveau Paris. To enter you had to describe what you would do in Paris with 1,00o euro to spend. This is what I would do!

A champagne breakfast on the Eurostar, bubbles and clinking flutes, if it is past ‘the night before’ then it is allowed. On arrival in Paris I immediately hail a cab. I am not walking in these shoes, and the metro is far too reminisant of my old enemy, the London underground; Paris is my new friend and I wish to start on a good note so cab it is. I will probably hear some French music whilst trundling down Parisian streets, and it will probably make the journey romantic as I am a sucker for accents. It’s a good job that I won’t know what the singers are saying as few lyrics are poetic these days.

I have asked the cab driver to take me to Notre Dame, no, I’m not cultural, but The Hunchback of Notre Dame was one of my favourite Disney films. This is because it scared me the most. The intro soundtrack with gypsies stealing away by boat was enough to make my sister and I cower behind the sofa. So Notre Dame is something I wish to see and experience, I want to search for Quaismodo and shout ‘the bells, the BELLS!’.

I will pull up at Notre Dam and gasp in hyperbolic awe at the magnitude of the building. I will note the gargoyles and morn that they are not as talkative as their Disney counterparts. On entering the church I will look around with reasonable interest and try and work out if I can get to the tower. I’m not sure if this attraction is that accommodating but I would hope so.

After leaving Quasi, I would eat a very large lunch. It would contain my favourite food, cheese, as much of it as possible. After, the cheese feast I would order a coffee and sit on a table on the street in pure Parisian cliché. Of course it is winter, so my nose would be red and eyes watery; that is the best I can do though, so no point worrying about it.

Moving from my seat slowly I would walk the least steps possible to get another cab. This time destination is death. Oh I love to be dramatic but here it is true. I am heading towards Cimetière du Père Lachaise, I had to goggle the name for the spelling, but I have written it down and will show it to the driver. I am going to see the grave of Oscar Wilde and wallow in amongst the graves. My camera will probably be turned to the ‘Grainy Film’ for some moody shots of headstones.

By this time it would be dark and time to eat again. Time also, for wine, red wine. I will struggle with the menu as I am vegetarian, but French stick with my glass of rouge is sufficient. After dining it will be another cab back to the station, and then a sleepy Eurostar trip to King Cross, punctuated only by looking back through the pictures on my camera’s little screen.

0 comments:

Post a Comment