Breaking News
Loading...
Thursday, July 21, 2011

Info Post


I've been a little slow on the blogging front recently, and this is partly because I'm having a crisis of conscience. I've been reading up on animal testing in cosmetics, and it is truly shocking how many big brands still practice this, and even more distressing is the fact that I use many of these products every single day. Suddenly my scheduled posts for MaxFactor mascara, Olay skincare and Rimmel nail polish seem a little shameful?

I'm an great lover of animals and even wanted to be a vet until I realised that blood makes me faint. A few years ago I made the decision to become a vegetarian, not because I think eating meat is implicitly wrong, but rather it's something I don't feel comfortable with, and don't want to take part in. I'm no preacher on the topic of meat, but animal testing is in a league of its own; with the technology in this day and age, there is no excuse to practice such barbarism for cosmetic purposes.

So as a beauty blogger, a decision to stop using products tested on animals is a big change that will require much research and many limitations. Obviously, my dressing table is full of products from companies that test so it's going to take a little time to make a clean switch.

I have thought about this, and I think I firstly want to promote knowledge on which companies test and which do not (I was shocked to learn how many seemingly organic companies are on the testing list). I will continue posting about all products for awhile, but I will be discreetly labeling each review with information on the company's animal testing policies for those that are interested. The same goes for any products that are sent to me to from PR companies.


From this moment onwards, I will not be personally puchasing new products from any brand that tests on animals. I've got a feeling this might be tricky, but I am willing to put in the time to find great products that are animal friendly.





PS. Meet Oscar...looking at pics of this cute fella makes that miraculous MaxFacter mascara decidebly less incredible.

0 comments:

Post a Comment