Breaking News
Loading...
Thursday, June 23, 2011

Info Post


I've never in my life had false nails, so when the urge came a few weeks ago, I was naive in my choices. I rushed from work and managed to get a walk in appointment at Perfection in Crouch End; as I looked at the 'menu' I was flustered from my haste and quickly sized up the options, it seemed I could opt for 'Gel Extensions' or 'Acrylic Extensions'. I know that gel is far better for nail health so I quickly stated my choice and was ushered over to a chair.

The lady instantly launched in to a spiel telling me that gel only works without extensions, if I wanted tips I would have to use 'powder gel'. I was confused but she assured me that this product was from OPI and very good. She worked quickly, mixing a powder with liquid to create a paste, and I was pleased with the result.

However, the next day I began to ponder the authenticity of 'gel powder'. Gel nails typically have a liquid formula and are dried using UV light. It just didn't add up! I performed a Google search which quickly told me that there is no such thing as 'gel powder', according to various forums, if any form of powder is used, then it is acrylic based.

I felt put out, especially as the salon charged more for 'powder gel' than acrylic, so I fished out their loyalty card and called them. I managed to speak the the girl who did my nails. It seems that the formula they used is indeed acrylic based, she explained that in the US they call it 'powder gel' but here in the UK it is known as 'clear acrylic'. Fair enough, but as we are in London, that is surely a little misleading?!

Well, I got to the bottom of it in the end. I think next time I'll upgrade salon and go for Bio Sculpture. Has anyone else had 'powder gel' nails? Would also love to hear from anyone that has tried Bio Sculpture.

0 comments:

Post a Comment